Saturday, June 14, 2008

The lunchtime effect and an insane piece of Job’s Worth.

The other day I had to visit the immigration department to renew my daughters’ residency visas.

This is a process that you have to repeat every time you renew your main passport because if you want to re-enter the country you will definitely find it useful to have this little slip indicating that you are a legal alien tucked up nicely in there somewhere.

The process is quite simple. You bring your old and new passports, fill out a form and pay the fee.

Simple!!!

A short time later (minutes or hours) you leave feeling robbed but also happy in the knowledge that you’re able to travel to and from your adopted homeland.

The key, as you all know, is to avoid the queue or at least pick the day when the most counters are open. We were going to the hospital as my wife had an appointment for one of her ailments so the time we had available in between the school runs and the appointment was basically lunchtime.

Or put it another way. Rush Hour. Usually when you have to go somewhere on a time constraint then you will always pick the bad day. Well for some reason it was empty on this occasion. We were through to the application triage officers within minutes. These guys check the forms and provide assistance before you get to a case officer.

This obviously is to avoid you waiting for a period of time to find out that you have completed the wrong form or worse still used the wrong type of pen colour.

At this stage I leant over the counter and enquired as to the lack of visitors. You see. I have been to the immigration department before and joined a queue that left the building. To give you another indication in the old building there was a portable café outside to serve food and drinks………..

Apparently it was just a slow day. I was wondering whether this was as a result of what I refer to as the lunchtime effect. I am sure I am not the only one out there but it could be due to the fact that I am an IT guy I was thinking. Why was this room empty? Was it because others had considered that it was lunchtime and therefore made the assumption that it would be busy, thus avoiding the ‘so called’ busy period when there are more people and less staff!!!!

Actually, who cares? I got the visas sorted in record time, but, I am grateful for all those who were considerate to enough to think of the lunchtime effect.

But the jobs worth moment is certainly worth writing about. For one reason alone, I am adamant that the person who came up with this rule was not an IT guy as there is no binary representation of what I witnessed. No IT guy in the world could have come up with an answer other than 0 or 1 (On or Off). And this to me is 5.66645645- and fifteen sixtenths.

As we were applying for three visas the costs were $100.00 per application. This makes sense I guess. Until you hear the triage officer ask “Are either of you two (Wife and I) applying for the visa also?”.

Our answer this time around was “No” because our passports are 10 years and the kids are 5 years in renewal intervals. “Shame” was the response, she then continued, “Because if one of you i.e. principal applicants are applying as well we can do this as one application with 3 dependents and therefore you will only be charged one off fee of S100.00.”

So the logic is that we will do the extra two applications and produce 5 instead of 3 visas. Key in details for 5 people and not 3, print, remove and secure 5 visas in the passports and not 3 and we will do that for one price.

But as a principal applicant isn’t applying then we need to treat it as 3 separate applications!!!!!!!!!!

If someone can shed any light of this I would be grateful. Until then I am proud to call myself a Software Development Professional. I certainly wouldn’t want to explain the aforementioned rule for my living or associate my name with inventing this process.

Thanks for reading.
Lee.

1 comment:

  1. You'd be surprised at the number of 'money saving' ideas the government come up with. Just wait until you start arguing with a government department about such rules. You can get quite deep in to the argument before they deliver the coup de grâce: "I'm sorry sir, we don't make the rules, we just enforce them."

    In my case it was the IRD trying to save me money by charging me interest.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for considering leaving some comments about my random rants for everything software development and more.