Sunday, June 22, 2008

The "Wooo! moment" Factor

This is another one of my general life blogs and follows up from my recent article about what makes a good programmer where I refer to a ‘Rocky Balboa’ moment that encompasses everything about being a great computer programmer.

I would like to clarify that this post has nothing to do with the incessant number of reality talent shows and is not in anyway linked or endorsed by those in the entertainment industry.

However, I recently went to the Smackdown/ECW world tour event here in Auckland, New Zealand.

Like most of the other hardcore WWE fans I registered for the internet presale, logging in a minute or two before midday and continually pressing the refresh (F5) button in Internet Explorer until the ticket selection page popped up. A quick combo-box click later and an anxious wait ensued whilst the system allocated my tickets and then the “Woo! moment” came.

I knew it was a full on “Wooo! moment” as it did turn the heads of a few people in my office.

The reason being was that I was lucky enough to get front row tickets, seat numbers 1 and 2 which was not only the closest you can get to the ring but also the closest you can get to the entrance ramps for when the wrestlers strut their stuff as part of the pre bout entertainment. The arena held thousands and thousands of people and to get to two best tickets in the house was reason enough for me to celebrate. Actually, celebrate for my daughter, as she is the wrestling fan. I just have transient knowledge.

For anybody that follows the WWE Wrestling you will probably know a guy called Ric Flair. He is a 16 times world champion as well as being regarded as one of the all time greats. He is also famous in WWE circles for his tag line “Wooo!”. So much so that the last three shows we have been to, Ric Flair has never been there, he has been retired since March 2008 and yet everyone was shouting “Wooo!” as the excitement began to build in the arena.

Now for me life is about experiences and the memories thereafter. We have both good and bad times that shape us all individually in some form or another. And one hopes that over the balance our lifetime that there are many more good times rather than bad and it is these good times that I affectionately refer to as the “Wooo! moments”.

Now if we spend on average a minimum of between 50 and 70 hours travelling and working each week I often ask myself why do people put up with a job or a career that doesn’t provide them with “Wooo moments”. I have been pretty lucky in this regard over the years. I am an analytical person and love computers. As a child at my local school jobs fair in 1983 I expressed that I wanted to be a computer programmer. After a few minutes searching the database (list of jobs on paper in those days). I was asked if I wanted to do commerce, a funny choice at first until you realise that it was the closest alphabetically to computing.

How times have changed.

Now everyone wants to do computing and whilst there are now more areas to become expert, I also believe that computing remains at risk of be dumbed down. I say this because many people are getting into computing because they see a higher than average salary trend, they only see the exciting parts of the job glamorised by Hollywood films or they see it as easy.

For me I got into computing because of the “Wooo! moments” and I continue to adore this line of work. But also as I get older I also find myself enjoying the fact that others around me are having their own “Wooo! moments”. I'm a little like grandparents who enjoy watching those cute little bundles known as grandchildren.

But of course it doesn’t stop there.

You may have a job that only has one or two “Woo!” moments in an entire career span. A recent example was the recent mission to detect life on Mars. Some of those guys had been working on that mission for 10 years or more. But that “Wooo! moment” when that million dollar craft landed on Mars and started to do its stuff.

Wow!!!!

The screams of joy and relief I could hear just by watching the footage on a 21” TV was there for the world to see.

The “Wooo! moments” are what drive me to get up each day and if you find yourself having less and less of these moments whilst at work.

Ask yourself why?

Work does dominate and validate many of ours lives so you might as well enjoy what you are doing. But please don't moan to me about your job. Do something about it.

Please, ensure that you do. Life is too short.
Thanks for reading.
Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for considering leaving some comments about my random rants for everything software development and more.