Thursday, September 24, 2009

Conference 2009 - Day 1

Day one kicked off today for the 2009 Plex/2e Developers conference and what a day it was.

I say day one. I have been here for a few days trying to acclimatise and attending a business partner seminar for the Websydian product range. All in all a great couple of days so far. I have meet up with a few old friends and made new ones. I have even managed to find time to share a few stories and pints whilst scouting out a laundromat with a very tall South African fellow named Gavin (Arad software http://www.arad.co.za/). My mate Martin from NZ also came along for the journey. I used to work with one of Gavin's old school mates from SA and we have now become friends. Talk about 6 degrees of seperation etc.

There are a few words or sentences that helps describe these early days so far.

  • Extreme jetlag.
  • Excellent training session today on web service connectors for multiple languages and platforms using the CA Plex tool.
  • Keynote presentations.
  • Crap internet. The internet is so slow I am using a connection (not my wifi) which is making it impossible for me to check my business emails at work. Will try other options tomorrow.

A big thank you to the Websydian team for putting on a great dinner tonight. As usual Bill kicked off the conference in his casual style. He's done so many now I guess he can do this with his eyes shut. There was a big shout out to the participants. 19 different countries were represented and well over 100 delegates to boot.

The usual thank yous to the event co-sponsors. See http://www.plex2e.com/ for more information about them and the event time table.

Anyhow, back to the action.

Then came a couple of keynotes from John Leadbetter (Websydian) and Simon Williams, the later being the founder of the tools we all love to use. He presented an accurate history of the tools and some of the early drivers and it all made sense. Of course, there was a plug for the AMD (Associative Model of Data) at the end but I guess he's earn't that. Considering I have made a career out of the tools he invented. I guess thats okay.

Personally though, I am gutted that Gunter and the team from All About Gmbh didn't make the event. I hope to pop over and see you guys in December 2009 if you would put up with me for a day? Still there are lots of very interesting sessions planned and I hope to come back to NZ with a much greater knowledge about the direction of the tools that I love.

There is lots of talk about an announcement around a .NET WPF client generator for version 6.5. This would certainly give the tools a great advantage over their rivals with the ability to hit both the Java and Microsoft technology stacks from a signle design model.

And I must mention the Desynit guys who have developed an iPhone 'conference' application that allows delegates to rate the sessions that people attend. Anyone can take a look online or via their iPhone, Blackberry, Web phone etc and track these. I'll post more on this in the future. Who would have thought that this would have been achieved using Plex and WCF web services. More on this and other interesting news as I hear more.

For now a couple of beers in the bar and hopefully some sleep tonight. After 3 hours last night and that was a good night (jetlag) I'd be greatful for that alarm clock to go off and it actually do it's job rather than interupting me watching Lissette Gonzales. A rather hot weather girl on one of the news channels here.



See what I mean!

Tomorrow there is a string of sessions planned and a couple of meetings with product owners. I am particularly keen on the Websydian TransacXML patterns and see some excellent business benefit using these. Not to mention that Soren (the guy who knows all about the product) enjoys a pint two. Looks like we might pop out to Waxy O'Connors for lunch. :-)

Thanks for reading.
Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for considering leaving some comments about my random rants for everything software development and more.