Friday, September 25, 2009

Conference 2009 - Day 2

Wow. What a day.

Attended quite a few motivational sessions today. When I say motivational. I don't mean some corny bible basher preaching good values and encouraging us all to give up tobacco, beer and girls (I could never give up 2 and 3), but the emergence of self-motivation by seeing what others are doing out there in the plex/2e world.

The first session I attended was the Plex update by Daniel Leigh. Although terms like "no commitment can be made on delivery or a date", one certainly left the room with a feeling that the .NET client in 6.5 is happening. Tomorrow we will be seeing this in action (I hope). I saw the icon on a laptop at one of the presentations.

Other than that Plex is BAU with planning being tidied up for the 6.5 release.

It was also nice to see what others had been doing. Chris Smith (albeit nervous) and please dont worry about that mate as what you have done in the plex java world with the 'plug in' looked fantastic. I salute your efforts and would like to get involved. Even if it is only from a ideas and scope perspective.

A few others around the performance products from CA which could have a place at my work and a excellent implementation and demonstration of a codejock toolbar control being integrated into the Plex patterns. Thanks Asgeri and Gunnar (http://www.vigor.is/) for sharing that. Nice to meet you guys.

I skipped the IBM session as I was lucky to have Alison Butterill visit Auckland where I live a few weeks ago.  So I actually caught up on some of that sleep deprivation that had been occurring recently.

Lastly, I looked at the TransacXML product. Soren and Anne-marie did a great job explaining the concepts of SOA. The products new import feature in the latest release (August 2009) looks like it can save a huge amount of time for the Plex developers at the modelling stage as well as increase accuracy. It's just another piece in the puzzle that keeps this tool viable and a serious option for any 2e shops wanting to target other platforms.

Time for dinner and then Plex in the City. Which is basically dinner and then a visit to a few bars. Starts in two minutes so better go.

Thanks for reading.
Lee.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Lee for this blog and for sharing your view on the conference. I gave some collegues the link to your blog.
    Asgeir, Vigor

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for considering leaving some comments about my random rants for everything software development and more.